Third Gen Camaro Big Block Engine Swap:
Third Generation (1982-1992) Camaro engine swapThe theme here is big is better. Big blocks are available in 396, 427, 454 (7.4 L), 502 (crate motor) and even 572 (crate motor) cid.
A big block engine swap into an F-Body (1982 to 1992) third gen Camaro was performed for Hot Rod magazine for the October 1982 issue. This was what was required to make it work:
- Exhaust: Hooker headers (2." dia). Tube 5 is a two piece design to aid installation. Stahl also makes header components which can be welded together for this swap.
- Distributor: Required a dent in the firewall (hammering) to fit the distributor. Stock HEI does not fit. They used an Accel BEI-2.
- Intake: LS6 low profile manifold, Holley carb and it fit under the stock hood.
- Water pump: short Moroso pump, Uses big block crank pulley and balancer.
- Oil pan: Used Chevell pan Chevy part number 3985999.
- Engine mounts: Stock 305 mounts.
- Transmission: TH400 with a fabricated a cross member and torque arm mount. Cross member bolted to stock location on body. Used front yoke Chevy part number 3930827 to attach to TH400. TH400 was of type with short (4") extension housing. TH400 total length = 28 5/8". Used stock auto shifter and speedo cable.
- Cooling: See CamaroTech radiator/cooling information
CamaroTech Engine Links:
- Chevy engine performance parts suppliers - new LSx and legacy Chevy engines.
- GM ZZ3 Camaro engine kit swap
- GM LS series engines - large displacement small blocks: LS2, LS7
- Crate motors
Comments for CamaroTech