Camaro Steering:The GM Camaro steering system is quite solid with few weak links.
Steering box: The prefered steering box for the third generation Camaro was introduced on the IROC. The Z28 version was also quite good. These two steering boxes use a "quick ratio" which allows the driver to turn the steering wheel fewer times to achieve a tighter turn.
Hose: One weak link in most of the GM steering system seems to be the hydraulic fluid steering hose. Steel braided units are available with machined ends which are more resiliant, last longer and can withstand the rigors of performance use.
Premium heavy duty front end components like tie rod ends and tie rod sleeves are preferred for improved tracking and cornering. Hotchkis has a tie rod sleeve which is a complete cylinder as opposed to the split sleeve which GM uses on the stock Camaro. This performance sleeve is stiffer, eliminating flexibility in the steering sytem to maintain tighter steering control.
Also see Camaro suspension for more on front-end components.
Chevy Camaro Third Gen Steering boxes:
Two basic models were available, the 605 (bad small gear unit) and 800 (good) series. The two are swapable and mount identically. The best of the 800 series were the quick ration 14:1 Z/28, IROC, Trans Am variety. The steering box can be identified by the two letter markings stamped on both the box cover and the end cap.
GM 800 Series Steering Boxes Vehicle GM part number Hollander Salvage Yard Interchange number Stamping Travel 1982+ F body, 15" wheels 7839897 1271 WS 35 degrees 1985+ F body, 16" wheels 7843512 1331 HX 32 degrees 1984+ G body performance
(not Camaro/Firebird and may lead to wheel rub due to greater range)
7843135 1282 YA 39 degrees 15 sec
Use Pitman arm GM# 7837642 for 800 series steering box.
The thicknes of the internal stops varied based on the size of tires offered by GM thus resulting in different degrees of angular travel.
Measuring Steering Box ratio: This is the ratio of the number of turns of the steering wheel to one complete turn of of the output shaft. Since the output shaft does not complete one revolution, just measure the percentage of a complete turn for the calculation and use the number of turns of the steering wheel from "lock to lock" (full left to full right or vice versa). In order to measure the number of degrees of output turn, use the following degree wheel.
Part #: 1601
These tie rod sleeves are substantially more rigid.
| Sweet Mfg.|
3421 S. Burdick
Kalamazoo, MI 49001-4835
This set-up has never had a hose leak yet. It is industrial strength. The fittings are used on the steering box and on the GM power steering pump. The 90 degree hose end was used to attach to the fitting on the power steering pump. Hose fittings are SAE 37 degree AN fitting -6.
High engine RPM and the restriction caused by the hose aften leads to higher fluid running temperatures which can be remedied by using a cooler, a larger steering pump pulley or both. A larger pulley may hurt parking maneuvers which are performed at low engine RPM.
Power Rack and Pinion
Component Manufacturer Links:
- AGR: Billet Steering boxes, pumps, gear. Used by the NASCAR crowd.
- BAER Tracker: Bump steer adjustable tie-rod sets. Compensate for ride height and suspension geometry changes and allow full range of articulation so the tie rods track in the same arc as the steering arm.
- Sweet Mfg: pumps, steering boxes, tanks, ..
- KRC Power Steering - Stock car kits, brackets, tanks, etc
- Appleton power rack and pinion steering
- SpeedDirect.com: Rack and Pinion steering for first generation 1967 to 1969 Camaros
- Unisteer: Pumps, custon resovoirs, rack and pinion, braided lines, ... Also rack and pinion kits for 1967 - 1969 Camaros.
- Eaton: Aeroquip: Hoses
- Hotchkis: Front-end components
- Global west - suspension components
- Federal-Mogul: Moog: Ball joints, front-end components
- Flaming River: steering components and aluminum steering boxes.
- Grant Steering Wheels
- Howe Racing
- March: pulleys and tanks
- Lee Manufacturing: Performance rebuilds and upgrades.
11661 Pendleton St. Sun Valley CA 91352