Camaro Fuel Systems:The fuel system starts with the fuel tank and with either an electrical or mechanical engine driven fuel pump, fuel is delivered to a carburetor or fuel injection system which atomizes the fuel and delivers an air-fuel mixture to the engine to burn and develop power.
Fuel Tank: The stock Camaro fuel tank is too small for high horsepower engines when used for driving for long distances. Racing fuel cells are typically too small for street driving. We show an installation for a Fuel Safe bladder lined, foam filled racing fuel cell for the third generation Camaro which supports the needs of both racer and street driver. The tank increases capacity to 24 gallons and improves crash safety. The tank is a custom design for the 1982-1992 Camaro and installs in the stock fuel tank location.
The nylon reinforced bladder lining offers puncture protection to the fuel tank. The foam is designed to reduce the movement of the fuel. In the event of an explosion, the foam reduces the air volume in the cell. If the fuel cell does ignite internally, the foam absorbs the expansion and the energy of the explosion. According to Fuel Safe, the cell must be filled with at least 80% foam to perform effectively and the foam only requires 3% of your tank capacity.
Note that all tanks should be grounded to avoid a static sparks. The movement of fuel in the tank and through the hose will generate a static build-up.
Fuel Pumps: I used a GM submersible 1989 Corvette fuel pump (#25163463), in tank fuel strainer (#25055458) and pressure regulator (#10185094) provided with the GM/3rd Gen Camaro ZZ3 engine swap kit. See the CamaroTech ZZ3 third gen installation.
The advantage of the submersible fuel pump is that it is at the beginning of the fuel delivery system thus allowing the entire system to be pressurized. Older systems often had a mechanical pump on the engine sucking fuel, drawing fuel to the engine under low pressure. The advantage of a fuel system under pressure is that it reduces the chance for vapor lock, a condition where a fuel vapor bubble forms in the fuel line, blocking delivery of fuel and stalling the engine.
Performance fuel pumps are often required when an engine is upgraded in horsepower requiring additional fuel above and beyond its stock predecessor. Under high RPM and peak horsepower conditions, the engine may require a performance fuel pump to deliver the additional quantity of fuel required.
Fuel pressure gauges are often added to performance vehicles to verify a minimum fuel delivery pressure to achieve full engine horsepower potential.
|Aircraft Rubber MFG., Inc
Fuel Safe Cell Div.
[Part # SA114]
1550 NE Kingwood Ave.
Redmond, OR 97756
24 gallon tank
Camaro Fuel Bladder and Aluminum tank (available black powder coated) for a third generation Camaro. (Weight: 25.35 lbs. - without top plate, sender, etc. Stock tank weight without pump, sender and top plate: 21.4 lbs)
Fuel tank support strut:
Note: The kit comes with a spacer to lower the support strut to allow for the extra size of the tank. I found it necessary to cut the support strut (and reinforce) due to the incorrect location of the valley in the tank. Attach with 3 bolts of M10-1.5x30mm.
Heat shields:The stock GM fuel tank installation used a heat shield to isolate the tank from the muffler/exhaust system. I chose to bend this shield so that it was included in this installation.
Fuel Lines and Fuel Pump:This project was part of the Chevrolet ZZ3 engine swap for the Gen 3 Camaro. This GM kit included a submersible Corvette electric fuel pump. This assembly was attached to the end of the pickup hose.
Fuel Safe provides a marine fuel level gauge which you have to calibrate before installing.The attachments on the top plate are:
The fuel level sensing unit is manufactured by Centroid Products Inc and comes with the Fuel Safe tank. It is compatible with the GM Camaro fuel gage and ranges from 0 ohms (empty) to 90 ohms (full) in resistance.The fuel level sender has three electrical connectors:
Filler Tube:I had to cut off the stock filler tube and weld it to a pipe which fit the rubber hose provided by Fuel Safe. The vent fitting was also welded to the tube.
Bladder Lifespan:The bladder must be changed every 5 to 6 years as the rubber will decay.
|AEM Performance Electronics:
Machined from 6061 Aluminum, double Viton O-ring seals, 7 micron filter, 12 gpm@ 45 PSI.
Uses replaceable filter cartridges.
Gen 5 Camaro 2010+
OEM replacement submersible in-tank dual electric fuel pump with a pre-programmed Uber Fueler electronic control. Plug and play wiring harness. Works with stock crossover tube and level sensor.
Digital brushless fuel pump and digital regulator. Fuel regulator communicates with fuel pump digitally to avoid over-pumping and unnecessarily circulating and heating fuel.
- Fuel Tanks:
- Fuel Pumps:
- AeroMotive: for 250-2000 HP
- Barry Grant - high flow pumps
- Federal-Mogul: Carter fuel pumps
- Federal-Mogul: Carter: electric OEM replacement, hi-performance and accessories (wire harnesses, strainers, tank lock rings, ...)
- Edelbrock: Mechanical, electric, submersible, regulators
- FueLab: digital fuel pump and regulator
- Holley: Mechanical, electric in-line and in-tank, pressure regulators, ...
- MagnaFuel: electric pumps (for Carbureted and EFI engines), regulators and filters
- Mallory: Mechanical, electric in-line, and in-tank, fuel rail EFI, regulators, fuel lines, fuel gauges, fittings, filters
- Paxton: pumps, regulators, filters, FCU, ...
- Fuel Lines and Fittings:
- Edelbrock: Russell: stainless steel hose ends, braided lines and fittings
- Eaton: Aeroquip: stainless steel braided racing hose, fittings (AN and metric), crimping tools, aluminum fittings, ...
- Spectre: hose and sleeve kits, filters
- Holley: Earl's: braided stainless steel hose and fittings
- Classic Tube
- Godman Hi-Performance - fuel line components, fuel specific gravity measurement kits, adapters, etc
- Filler Neck Supply: They specialize in filler necks, caps, diameter changes, etc
- Fire Suppression:
- Enderle: carb linkage
- Lokar: carb linkage
- FRAM: filters
- Auto Meter: Fuel Gauges
- Stewart Warner: Fuel Gauges
- VDO: Fuel Gauges, automotive electronics
- AEM Performance Electronics: High volume fuel filters, fuel rails, pressure regulators, water and methanol injection systems, gauges, sensors, fuel/ignition controllers, data loggers
Comments for CamaroTech