After Market Performance Camaro Wheels and Tires:
Largest Tire Table (body clearance):
Measurement in inches First Gen
1967 - 1969
1970 - 1981
1982 - 1992
1993 - 1995
Diameter Rim Front Rear Front Rear Front Rear Front Rear 15" Dia Backspacing 3.75 4.875 3.75 4.0 4.75 4.0 Rim width 7.0 8.5 7.0 8.0 7.0 8.0 Tire 225/55 28x10.5 225/55 245/50 245/50 265/50 16" Dia Backspacing 5.0 5.5 - 5.75 4.0 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.75 5.75 Rim width 8.5 8.5 8.0 9.5 9.5 9.5 8.0 8.0 Tire 245/50 255/50 245/45 245/50 255/50 255/50 245/50 245/50 17" Dia Backspacing 5.0 5.5 - 5.75 4.0 5.5 5.5 5.5 7.0 7.75 Rim width 8.5 9.5 8.0 9.5 9.5 9.5 9.5 11.0 Tire 245/40 275/40 245/40 275/40 275/40 275/40 275/40 315/35 Other Backspacing 5.0 5.75 7.0 7.75 Rim width 20x9.5 20x9.5 18x9.5 18x11.0 Tire 275/40 295/35
There is no shortage of wheel and tire options for the 1982 to 1992 Camaro.
The stock third generation '82-'92 Camaro wheel wells will fit 17"x9.5" rims with a 10mm offset (positive) with P275-40ZR17 in all four corners.
Front Offset Rear Offset 17x9.5 in 10 mm 17x9.5 in 10 mm
Wheel-Caliper Clearance:If using aftermarket racing calipers, one can measure the wheel clearance with the "X-Brake Factor" tool. This is a set of gages used to measure the caliper overhang from the wheel mounting pad to the outer most edge of the caliper to determine wheel to caliper clearance.
For gage and plus size guide see Wheel Consultants Inc: Plus Sizing Guide
Wheel well openings, ride height, tie rod ends (front), sway bar (limits front turn) and upper A-arms (1st and 2nd gen front) are the greatest constraints on tire and wheel size. By using smaller tubular upper A-arms, one can gain some clearance on first and second generation Camaros.
Wheel Rim Terms:
- Pilot: Diameter of center hole which fits over hub or axle.
- Rim Diameter: Diameter measured from the bead seat.
The CamaroTech project car uses a 17 inch rim diameter.
- Rim width: Width measured between rim flanges.
The CamaroTech project car uses a 9.5 inch rim width.
- Bead Seat: Position where tire rests on inside of wheel rim to seal air.
- Center line: One half of rim width.
- Back Spacing: Distance from extreme back edge of rim (not bead seat) to mounting pad.
- Offset: Distance of mounting pad from center line. Zero offset is a mounting pad located on the center line. A negative offset is one where the mounting pad is located inboard of the center line (wheel sticks out). A positive offset
positions the mounting pad outboard of the centerline.
The CamaroTech project car uses a 10 mm positive offset.
- Bolt Cirdle: Diameter of an imaginary circle drawn through the center of each lug hole or stud.
- Aspect Ratio: Ratio of the tire's cross section height to the cross section width.
Calculation: AR = (Height/Width) x 100
- Section Height: Vertical distance between the tire's bead seat and the the outer tread surface for a mounted and inflated but unloaded tire.
- Section Width: Tire's width from sidewall to sidewall when mounted and inflated but unloaded.
- Deflection: Difference between the tires natural radius and the loaded radius.
- Tread Width: Distance of the inner to the outer edge of the tread.
Metric Tire P-Sizes:For example: P275-40ZR17
- P: Passenger car tire.
- 275: Section width in millimeters.
- 40: Aspect Ratio
- Z: High speed rated
- R: Radial construction
- 17: Wheel rim diameter
Wheels:The lighter the better. A lighter wheel will lower the unsprung weight allowing the wheel to follow the bumps in the road. The lower wheel weight will lower the wheel momentum which will allow the suspension spring to press the wheel back upon the road after a bump and thus will improve road contact and thus will improve traction.
After Market Performance Wheel Manufacturers:
US: 15692 Computer Lane, Huntington Beach CA 902649
Savini Forged Wheels display (did anyone notice the wheels in the photo?)
The 1982-1992 Camaro can fit P275-40ZR17 tires on all four corners without
wheel well or sway bar modifications.
After Market Performance Tire Manufacturers:
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS):
Tyredog: Inflation monitoring
(Typically used by heavy duty trucks)
MVP: Multi-Vehicle Protocol inflation monitoring
(OEM replacement sensors)
- Lug Nuts:
- Longacre Racing - Pyrometers, Tireliefs, Guages, etc
- SPD - Skulte Performance Designs: Wheel Adapters and Wheel Spacers
- Bead Locks:
- Champion - bead locks - drag racing
- ArbUsa.com - X-Jack exhaust filled jack bag.
- Tire Leak Self Sealing:
Tire Wheel Mounting Equipment:
Corghi Artiglio Master: Note that this system is leverless and does not come in contact with the wheel.
Dynamic Wheel and Tire spin Balancer:
This Snap-on digital dynamic spin balancer can detect out of balance wheel-tire combinations, tire flat spots and impreoperly mounted tires.
Wheel and Tire Equipment:
- Vis Polish - Automotive rim repair and polishing
Wheel and Tire Trade Associations:
- NationalWheelAndRim.org National Wheel And Rim Association
- Rubber Manufacturers Association
- TireIndustry.org: The Tire Industry Association